Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the Ultra be suitable for use with a classic vintage amp like the Quad 303 or 306?
I'll test it with one of my 306, as soon as time allows.

The input sensitivity of the stock 306 is a little low, but setting btge Ultra's output voltage to 0.5V should cover that.

Not sure about the 303 from the top of my head (and I don't own one), but input sensitivity should be in the same ballpark.

Anyone planning to pair the Ultra with Fosi Audio V3 mono amps and an external DAC? If so which external DAC?

I'm actually curious and planning to try out the Wiim Ultra with the Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers (along with my current speakers and subwoofer)

Currently, I have the NAD C700 paired with Dali Ikon 1 mk1 speakers and a Jamo S808 subwoofer. Honestly, that setup has been working best for me so far in my situation.

But I'm always on the lookout for better sound on a tight budget.

I tried a Wiim Amp (as a replacement for the NAD C700), but personally, it didn't come close in terms of sound quality. Then I tried a Wiim Mini with a Fosi Audio ZA3 amplifier, and that was already a bit better. After adding an SMSL SU-1 external DAC, I have to say it came pretty close to the NAD C700 however, the NAD C700 still sounds a bit smoother/warmer.

If I were to go for the Wiim Ultra and Fosi Audio V3 mono amplifiers (in combination with the rest of my current setup), which (affordable) external DAC would you guys recommend?

As I said, I already liked the sound quality of the Wiim Mini together with the Fosi Audio ZA3 and SMSL SU-1 DAC, but it could perhaps be just a little bit smoother/warmer/more musical. Soundstage of this combo also seemed slightly less wide than the NAD C700.

I think/hope/expect that with the Wiim Ultra + Fosi Audi V3 mono amplifiers and the right (affordable) external DAC, I will be able to match or surpass the sound quality and soundstage of the NAD C700. But which external (affordable) DAC would you guys recommend? The SMSL SU-1 wasn't bad in principle, but it sounded a bit too bright/analytical for me (given my setup and situation).

About me: not an audiophile nor do I have golden ears.
My system is very basic: Klipsch "The Nines" powered speakers connected to the Ultra via the "Analog Out" to the Klipsch "Analog IN". TV connected to the Ultra via HDMI, (no subwoofer). I only stream music from Amazon Music though my ROKU stick in my TV and/or now from Amazon Music on the WiiM Home app.

Initial thoughts: feels and looks well built, the screen is crisp and bright, I think it's very cool, it looks good and should be seen not hidden. I purchased this because I wanted to see if there was a sound quality difference streaming from the Ultra vs. ROKU and I really wanted the EQ and PEQ features. Sound wise (flat EQ, no PEQ): the sound did change, I think the bass may be tighter and the highs are possibly a bit brighter.

I have a question for the forum, can I assume the Ultra's output is just getting put through the DAC in the Klipsch even if I'm using the analog in?
If so then I'm limited to the performance of the Klipsch DAC, correct?

The PEQ: currently only one 10 band PEQ, no separate PEQ for L/R and sub.

The HDMI ARC and CEC seem to work, waking the Ultra and using volume controls on the ROKU remote.

They give you three screen choices for streaming playback:
View attachment 8952
Cool! Do you have more pictures of the display, interface and the VU meter (in action) or better yet a video? :)

Cool! Do you have more pictures of the display, interface and the VU meter (in action) or better yet a video? :)
There already are several videos out there showing the display, and the current VU meter as shown in comment #895 is a single needle on a mono screen. I’ve submitted a feature request to make it l/r and a bit more colourful.

There already are several videos out there showing the display, and the current VU meter as shown in comment #895 is a single needle on a mono screen. I’ve submitted a feature request to make it l/r and a bit more colourful.
Where can you request such request?

Very small screen.
An external screen would be better (e.g. 7" Ashata)

I'll test it with one of my 306, as soon as time allows.

The input sensitivity of the stock 306 is a little low, but setting btge Ultra's output voltage to 0.5V should cover that.

Not sure about the 303 from the top of my head (and I don't own one), but input sensitivity should be in the same ballpark.

Thanks. The input sensitivity was the potential issue I was concerned about. (y)

Just ordered mine from Peter Tyson. What’s the best option for connecting to my amp, optical or coaxial? Are both bit perfect?

Just ordered mine from Peter Tyson. What’s the best option for connecting to my amp, optical or coaxial? Are both bit perfect?

Depends on your system. If your amp digitises inputs, then use digital.

If the DAC in the amp is low quality, and your amp has a good pure direct / pure analgue input, then use analogue out

Both are bit perfect and depending on the corresponding digital inputs on your amp should sound identical in my experience. Try both and decide for yourself.
Note that for bit perfect output from a WiiM device you should have it set at fixed volume, with no volume limit nor EQ/PEQ/RC and set for stereo not mono. However you might find that using those features enhances your listening experience, bit perfect or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back