Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would make me (if I would be a potential customer in the Apple universe) at least a bit nervous is that some Apple related features like Siri or Airplay show only a "-"
On the other side Roon shows as "in certification". Left side shows the Ultra.

IMG_4147.jpeg

But of course I want all wishes to be fulfilled!
In my opinion it could be quite easy for WiiM to throw some light into all this. But obviously they are not interested in. And they are of course not obliged to do so, its their decision. But thats what a valued member from France called "ostrich policy".

Last edited:
Someone elsewhere has just pointed out that, as the Mini does AirPlay you could just use that, optical out into the Ultra.

What would make me (if I would be a potential customer in the Apple universe) at least a bit nervous is that some Apple related features like Siri or Airplay show only a "-"
On the other side Roon shows as "in certification". Left side shows the Ultra.
Okay... that's a bit worrying maybe. Sure I could probably survive without Airplay as I'm not an iPhone user, but I enjoy mirroring my MacBook's system audio to my speakers sometimes.

I think WiiM Team would ask us for a solution to solve this issue - how many have come in few minutes 😂

Just as an aside, some quick sums.

A Mini sells at Amazon UK for £90.

But that includes 20% VAT, so minus that, it sells for £75.

Amazon will make what? £15 from the sale (you tell me), so that's £60.

WiiM will make £15 profit (again, you tell me), so that's £45.

Take away the DAC section, that's another £15 off, so £30.

All-in-all, that's not a lot. They could even sell it as WiiM Ultra £339, WiiM Ultra with AirPlay Adapter £355.

My sums are probably wrong. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SiR
Probably not much... seems like every streaming device I come across which works with a Linkplay module supports Airplay.

I've no idea, but I suspect it's not a huge number of people who'd require AirPlay.

Apple Music is only 12.6% of the market, and some of those users will use bluetooth, or maybe have other services too.

Thinking back, does anyone remember the early issue with the Amp having some hum? Sorted it for later releases.

I'm sure they could do similar here. Just tell AirPlay-lovers they'll replace the old one for a new one, as I believe they did with the Amp, once they've altered the hardware.

That's if the story is accurate, of course.

It may not be a hardware issue at all. It may be that Apple and Linkplay have not come to an agreement on licensing. If they don't, Airplay could disappear from other products as well.

I'm a bit behind with this, but didn't it disappear previously? WiiM offering something via DNLA as a workaround or something?

Sorry, I don't use AirPlay, so I've not really been keeping up.

The most often given advice on this field is asking WiiM directly. It seems no discussion wanted. Sometimes even threads have been closed 😉

I've no idea, but I suspect it's not a huge number of people who'd require AirPlay.

Apple Music is only 12.6% of the market, and some of those users will use bluetooth, or maybe have other services too.

Thinking back, does anyone remember the early issue with the Amp having some hum? Sorted it for later releases.

I'm sure they could do similar here. Just tell AirPlay-lovers they'll replace the old one for a new one, as I believe they did with the Amp, once they've altered the hardware.

That's if the story is accurate, of course.
I can see why it's quite a big issue - especially for iPhone users. Specific music related apps like Soundcloud or Bandcamp don't have their own native "connect" solution like Spotify or Tidal do. For those types of apps we have to rely on Chromecast Audio or Airplay. Airplay also comes in handy to just stream the system-wide audio from any iOS device or Mac. I know it's not bit-perfect, but compared to Bluetooth it'll work much more seamless.

Hi developer
After my iPad air 3 had the app updated
My iPad found the ultra but can connect
However , my android phone are ok to connect the ultra
Thanks

Attachments

• 17219073514924142825336165067413.jpg
    17219073514924142825336165067413.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
I can see why it's quite a big issue - especially for iPhone users. Specific music related apps like Soundcloud or Bandcamp don't have their own native "connect" solution like Spotify or Tidal do. For those types of apps we have to rely on Chromecast Audio or Airplay. Airplay also comes in handy to just stream the system-wide audio from any iOS device or Mac. I know it's not bit-perfect, but compared to Bluetooth it'll work much more seamless.

Thanks for that.

How many of these can't use Chromecast Audio and reply on AirPlay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back