Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but I have checked the fixed volume output otherwise 90% does not correspond to -6db
Even with fixed volume output not enabled the volume limit (really a bit of a misnomer) should work the same.

In case of the WiiM Amp with passive speakers there isn't even a fixed volume output setting (for good reason ;)) but it makes a lot of sense to set a volume limit if EQ with positive gain is used.

Same for the Pro or Pro Plus if used as pre-amps.

Fixed volume does not fit with 90% in my head. But it seem to be different things!?
It's not the output volume that gets limited. It's about how much the level is reduced prior to applying EQ.

The volume limit prior to eq should be automatic, or at least clearly documented.

It’s not really limit, is it? More of a cut. There’s no guarantee against clipping.

Sounds complicated. Does this mean that if you leave the value at 100%, the PEQ can only lower peaks but not raise dips?
PEQ can still apply boosts to fill in dips (not always a good idea) and exactly that is the problem. It might lead to digital clipping.

It’s not really limit, is it? More of a cut. There’s no guarantee against clipping.
No, it's not a cut. If applied correctly it does prevent clipping.

There is at least one feature request (maybe more) in this forum for exactly that and nobody cares voting for it.

There is at least one feature request (maybe more) in this forum for exactly that and nobody cares voting for it.
So Room Correction has gone through beta and finally reached production and nobody thought to prevent clipping. Wow.

So Room Correction has gone through beta and finally reached production and nobody thought to prevent clipping. Wow.
If I understand it correctly, it's not just to do with room correction. Clipping can also occur when the PEQ is used manually. And PEQ has been around for quite a long time. I was never aware of this problem.

If I understand it correctly, it's not just to do with room correction. Clipping can also occur when the PEQ is used manually. And PEQ has been around for quite a long time. I was never aware of this problem.
Yes true. It probably isn't easy to automatically choose the correct gain reduction as some tracks will clips and others won't. Does Room Correction allow you to turn off any positive gain filters?

Honestly, I don't think that anyone (outside WiiMl has measured this so far, so we can't be sure.
on eq the problem has been known to wiim since spring 2022.. and the request for an automatic gain adaptation function which seems to have come across other apps since this same period.... we have been talking about it regularly since

on peq it is already measured...
but above all the case of peq is more complicated than in eq, given that it is possible to saturation even in negative gain... there is a "musician" thread here that deals with this subject...
a well-known subject

on eq the problem has been known to wiim since spring 2022.. and the request for an automatic gain adaptation function which seems to have come across other apps since this same period.... we have been talking about it regularly since

on peq it is already measured...
but above all the case of peq is more complicated than in eq, given that it is possible to saturation even in negative gain... there is a "musician" thread here that deals with this subject...
How can negative gain cause clipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back