WiiM Amp

If wiim can turn usb either input or out perhaps they can do the same with rca in? I think the ultimate feature that can integrate with any wiim is room correction and that will leave other streamer irrelevant for those who has room acoustic problem.
Hi Smartplug, Team

Certainly, we're developing our initial room correction feature and aim to release a Beta version in late January, pending successful development. As this is a Beta release, we'll be actively seeking feedback from the community for further improvements before the official launch. Stay tuned!

Amazon Music Prime is lossy MP3 not lossless CD quality that 16/44.1 normally suggests, and yes you should hear a difference with lossless Amazon Music Unlimited with its HD and UHD offerings
Will HD Prime work with multi-room setup? I realize the HD sound quality is probably lost on the Echo Dots but I have a couple of Dots as source for external amps and speakers as well as the WiiM Amp.

There isn’t a service called HD Prime - Amazon Music comes in three variants: Amazon Music Free which is a restricted catalogue of lossy MP3; Amazon Music Prime which is lossy with a full catalogue but some restrictions on playback; and Amazon Music Unlimited which contains lossless 16bit HD and 24bit UHD tracks. The first and the last are unrelated to being a Prime member. Sorry about being pedantic, it’s a bad habit of mine but I’m getting therapy for it 🤣

You can create a multi room music (MRM) group with WiiM devices and echo devices, and can play multi room lossless Amazon Music Unlimited (the Wiim Mini apart) but it’s capped by Amazon at 24/48 which is about all that echo devices can support (and I think you can tell the difference even there) and seems to be a limit of MRM groups themselves. I’d doubt if you’d noticed it wasn’t playing at any higher resolution tbh :)

Cheers

Last edited:
There isn’t a service called HD Prime - Amazon Music comes in three variants: Amazon Music Free which is a restricted catalogue of lossy MP3; Amazon Music Prime which is lossy with a full catalogue but some restrictions on playback; and Amazon Music Unlimited which contains lossless 16bit HD and 24bit UHD tracks. The first and the last are unrelated to being a Prime member. Sorry about being pedantic, it’s a bad habit of mine but I’m getting therapy for it 🤣

You can create a multi room music (MRM) group with WiiM devices and echo devices, and can play multi room lossless Amazon Music Unlimited (the Wiim Mini apart) but it’s capped by Amazon at 24/48 which is about all that echo devices can support (and I think you can tell the difference even there) and seems to be a limit of MRM groups themselves. I’d doubt if you’d noticed it wasn’t playing at any higher resolution tbh :)

Cheers
Yeah, I'm a little loose with my terminology especially since I've never looked into Amazon Music much further than what comes with a Prime membership.

To understand your response, my Echo Dots won't be a limiting factor if I sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited and the WiiM Amp will receive HD/UHD while being a member of a multi-room music group with several other Amazon Echo devices?

In my experience there is a limit of 9 devices that can be set to play at one time in MRM group. Any more than 9 and a "server error" is generated. Not sure why that is the response, but there it is.
I have several MRM groups, each with 9 or less devices and I haven't run into any issue with the number of groups yet, just the number of members to a MRM group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm a little loose with my terminology especially since I've never looked into Amazon Music much further than what comes with a Prime membership.

To understand your response, my Echo Dots won't be a limiting factor if I sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited and the WiiM Amp will receive HD/UHD while being a member of a multi-room music group with several other Amazon Echo devices?

Given that most echos support HD, usually 16/44 or 16/48, then that’s what will dictate the overall resolution of an MRM group as it uses the lowest common denominator , so that’s what your WiiM will play too. For MRM aka “party mode” , that’s probably sufficient resolution.

In my experience there is a limit of 9 devices that can be set to play at one time in MRM group. Any more than 9 and a "server error" is generated. Not sure why that is the response, but there it is.
I have several MRM groups, each with 9 or less devices and I haven't run into any issue with the number of groups yet, just the number of members to a MRM group.

I would say the limiting factor is how many concurrent streams your router can handle, rather than the number of devices in an MRM group per se. The way it works is that one device in the group receives the stream from the cloud and then redistributes that in sync to the others, so your router is doing a lot of shuffling the stream around. But 9 is a lot and passing a lot of higher bandwidth streams rather than much lower bandwidth lossy streams might reduce that number, WiiM or no WiiM.

You can create a multi room music (MRM) group with WiiM devices and echo devices, and can play multi room lossy Amazon Music Unlimited (the Wiim Mini apart) but it’s capped by Amazon at 24/48 which is about all that echo devices can support (and I think you can tell the difference even there) and seems to be a limit of MRM groups themselves. I’d doubt if you’d noticed it wasn’t playing at any higher resolution tbh :)

Cheers
MRM groups play lossy Amazon Music Unlimited?
Are you sure?
I believe they play lossless AMU, also if capped…
Am I wrong?

Hi Smartplug, Team

Certainly, we're developing our initial room correction feature and aim to release a Beta version in late January, pending successful development. As this is a Beta release, we'll be actively seeking feedback from the community for further improvements before the official launch. Stay tuned!
Is the room correction apply to all wiim products? Thanks!

I’ve had great success, using the WiiM pro and the Wiim mini with my iPhone, and my Jellyfin server at home.

I bought a Wiim mini and setup a JellyFin for my friend. He has an android phone. His phone (running the wiim app) works well with Pandora and streaming services. HOWEVER… when I browse and go to “home music share” it will see the server… see the two folders. However, when I click the music folder the app/phone give the “thinking” animation and it locks up the app.

This is a real bummer because accessing his own music is what he really wants.

He put the WiiM software on a second Android phone and same problem.

My Apple phone running same WiiM software does work with his setup (and mine)

On the android phones all of the permissions on open for the wiim app.

Is this an unknown/known bug with the android software?

Is this a setting in the phone?

Is there a fix in the works?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

I’ve had great success, using the WiiM pro and the Wiim mini with my iPhone, and my Jellyfin server at home.

I bought a Wiim mini and setup a JellyFin for my friend. He has an android phone. His phone (running the wiim app) works well with Pandora and streaming services. HOWEVER… when I browse and go to “home music share” it will see the server… see the two folders. However, when I click the music folder the app/phone give the “thinking” animation and it locks up the app.

This is a real bummer because accessing his own music is what he really wants.

He put the WiiM software on a second Android phone and same problem.

My Apple phone running same WiiM software does work with his setup (and mine)

On the android phones all of the permissions on open for the wiim app.

Is this an unknown/known bug with the android software?

Is this a setting in the phone?

Is there a fix in the works?

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Hi Honda,

It looks like an Android App bug. To assist you swiftly, could you submit a ticket through the WiiM Home App? Just go to 'Settings' > 'Feedback'. We'll start troubleshooting right away. Thank you!

Hi, before I place an order, 2 questions please:

question 1: do you need the use the remote to turn the amp on? or you can either use the remote, or simply start to stream from Airplay or from the Wiim app and wake the amp up?

question 2: any idea when the silver version will be available on Amazon UK? only the space grey is there atm

thank you

I have not seen silver yet even mine was space grey. Maybe not a lot demand for silver or maybe grey paint is affordable.

thank you and regarding my question 1?

do you need the use the remote to turn the amp on? or you can either use the remote, or simply start to stream from Airplay or from the Wiim app and wake the amp up?

do you need the use the remote to turn the amp on? or you can either use the remote, or simply start to stream from Airplay or from the Wiim app and wake the amp up?
I use the remote to turn on/off and to control the volume. Everything else is in wiim app.

thank you but does that mean the Wiim Amp is not available as an Airplay receiver or Spotify Connect receiver if you don't turn it on with remote first?

Two new features on the horizon at the end of January which include usb out and room correction. Other streaming brand would just see their product tank as wiim will take big market share. People like their product evolve via update without buying new product to upgrade.

thank you but does that mean the Wiim Amp is not available as an Airplay receiver or Spotify Connect receiver if you don't turn it on with remote first?
I have not try yet since I don’t use airplay or Spotify of that matter.

Hi x86,

There's no need to manually turn on the amp with the remote each time. It automatically enters an idle mode to conserve power, remaining visible on the network for convenient streaming via AirPlay or the WiiM Home App.

Back