WiiM Amp

but if the reproduction equals the original perfectly, if the sound pressure waves surrounding the listener are exactly as in the original sound event, then the reproduction will be perfect for every listener, regardless of individual perception
The physical reproduction, yes, but not the perceived reproduction. Not everyone consider a perfect fidelity as an attribute of the perfect sound quality.

The physical reproduction, yes, but not the perceived reproduction. Not everyone consider a perfect fidelity as an attribute of the perfect sound quality.
Right, but that's personal taste then.

Everyone is entitled to have that, of course. As long as everyone doesn't mix up taste and facts.

Last edited:
'dumping factor"
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well, I suppose it does dump sound into the speakers!

I was reading about this a week or two back on one particular manufacturer's blogs (tbh, can't recall which one), and (again, iirc) they pretty much stated that once it got to about 350, any more was irrelevant.

I was reading about this a week or two back on one particular manufacturer's blogs (tbh, can't recall which one), and (again, iirc) they pretty much stated that once it got to about 350, any more was irrelevant.
Almost 50 years ago, Floyd E. Toole concluded that almost no advantage could be gained from a damping factor higher than around 25. :)

The argument is built on the rationale that the voice coil's DC resitance is actually limiting how match damping of the fundamental electro-mechanical resonanance can be achieved. If the amplifier's output resistance was exactly zero, the equivalent electrical circuit describing the entire arrangement still includes RDCVC as the limiting factor.

Cable length can be a different story, but usually rather in pro audio (or maybe very complex HT installations). Having a little extra margin by means of low amplifier output impedance doesn't hurt in this case. But it's by far not as efficient as one might assume, because it won't help with cable inductance (becoming meaningful with long runs of cable).

Here's a link to a somewhat more recent paper (published in 2015) summing things up quite nicely.

We haven't even touched the influence (or not) of frequency dependancy of the DF.

And still I'm not sure if the dumping factor could be much more important and maybe becoming the next hot shiit of Audiophilia. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, put your headphones into pairing mode, then set the Amp's audio output to Bluetooth
I did connect my Dali headset via the app to my Dali. It says connected.I can see it on the app.

I hear the music through my Dali headset.
But the music keeps randomly falling out for a second or so. Music keeps playing but then randomly is fall out again.
Do i do something wrong? Could this be an issue with the wiiamp?

I did connect my Dali headset via the app to my Dali. It says connected.I can see it on the app.

I hear the music through my Dali headset.
But the music keeps randomly falling out for a second or so. Music keeps playing but then randomly is fall out again.
Do i do something wrong? Could this be an issue with the wiiamp?
It’s possibly an issue for a few WiiM models given reports here and elsewhere. Submit a ticket - the more who do, the better chance they have of fixing it. Make sure you identify the make and model of the headphones.

It’s possibly an issue for a few WiiM models given reports here and elsewhere. Submit a ticket - the more who do, the better chance they have of fixing it. Make sure you identify the make and model of the headphones.

Thanks Very much for your reply.
Do I have to report the issue through the app?
I will do it .. hoping it helps.
I assume the Bluetooth antenna from the wimm can't be the cause..I don't know.
But I will report the issue to Wiim with the app.

My headphones are Dali IO6.
Haven't any issues with them with my pc,tv or smartphone.

Just on the back of this, what are the advantages of using Bluetooth of the Amp rather than a phone - other than saving phone battery? Are there any benefits in quality?
Thanks

Just on the back of this, what are the advantages of using Bluetooth of the Amp rather than a phone - other than saving phone battery? Are there any benefits in quality?
Thanks
I wanted to test it then i got the stutter issues unfortunately.
The Bluetooth coming from the wiimamp could be produce a better sound than from a phone I suppose?.
I'm not sure..it's an aac codec but a codecisonly one thing.
Or doesn't it produce a better sound then I phone? I don't know.
Don't know why wimm don't support a aptx or aptxhd codec .
But for know I hope the stuttering issues can be solved.

For me, because I almost exclusively use LMS, there is the ability to control playback via the headphones rather than reaching for my phone. Very useful with a headband with BT used for sleeping!

I am having issues with BT stutter. I don't think it is the antenna that is the problem. The signal extends quite some distance. WiiM are investigating currently, but the more tickets raised the better, I think. There have been some improvements but the problem is by no means resolved yet.

Steve

Thanks

I wanted to test it then i got the stutter issues unfortunately.
The Bluetooth coming from the wiimamp could be produce a better sound than from a phone I suppose?.
I'm not sure..it's an aac codec but a codecisonly one thing.
Or doesn't it produce a better sound then I phone? I don't know.
Don't know why wimm don't support a aptx or aptxhd codec .
But for know I hope the stuttering issues can be solved.
When using Bluetooth, the sound is amplified by the headphones themselves, so which device is transmitting the Bluetooth stream to the headphones doesn't really matter, in the sense that e.g. two devices transmitting the same music with the same codec and bitrate will produce identical results on the same pair of headphones/speakers. That being said, it does matter if a device has a poor Bluetooth chip/antenna (which will lead to a bad connection and/or worse quality), or if it doesn't support higher quality codecs. The Wiim doesn't support aptX, LDAC or LHDC (yet?), but I know it does at least support SBC-XQ (goes up to about 550 kbps) as a receiver. I'm not sure if it can also transmit SBC-XQ, though.

I dont know either.
Isn't it an issue you have to select Bluetooth on the app in stead of the device itself?
Don't know if this has to do anything with it.

I don't know if it has to do anything with the antenna.
What I can say if a walk away from the amp and am from a bigger distance ( 10 meter) I still have connection.
The stuttering is there also when im in little distance to the amp.

Another question i did read on the manual is if the amp connected to a bluetooth device the led must be green.
I connected my daliio6 but the led was white..?

Maybe this is when you choose Bluetooth input.. sorry I thought this had something to do with it.

Last edited:
The Denon DRA-F107 has not been available as a separate product but only bundled with the DCD-F107 CD player and SC-F107 speakers. The entire set sold for roughly 650 € (list price, street price dropped below 450 € a year or so after introduction). And it was made roughly 15 years ago.

How can you know for sure the Denon is at "least (bold!) as good as the WiiM Amp", just because the WiiM amp is so "cheap"? ;)

It's not perfectly clear to me if you got it that the Dali speakers did not originally come with this amp. We can still conclude that there's no obvious problem for the DRA-F107 driving them, if @Giro413 has been using this combo for a while. I did not find any measurements of the Lektor 2 specifically but Dali has a reputation for making easy to drive speakers. Nominal impedance is 6 ohms and them being small and simple 2-way designs we shouldn expect them to be a non-critical load for most every amplifier.

Some pros for the Denon (e.g. more versatile remote, more legacy inputs, ...). Some pros for the WiiM Amp (e.g. more power, feature-rich streamer and decent DAC already included, 15 years younger design, somewhat basic but vastly superior subwoofer management, EQ, ...). Just for subwoofer management and EQ alone I would probably give the WiiM Amp a try.

I won't pretend I can predict the outcome but personally I'd be willing to take that risk.

Con for the WiiM Amp: DAC not exactly on par with the WiiM Pro Plus, so replacing the Denon with a different higher quality amp-only device might yield even better results (at the expense of more clutter compared to WiiM Amp). It all depends on what you want.
Thank you for your take on this, @harkpabst.
If the Wiim Amp indeed has a lower quality DAC than the Wiim Pro Plus I will definitely not want to make that switch. I could consider a better amp, but to my needs I do think my current setup will suffice. At least for now.
Just to be 100% accurate the Denon DRA-F107 was not bundled with the mentioned speakers, in my case. I bought the system (and the DCD-F107) with the Dali Lektor 2's that I am still using from the Danish retailer Hi-Fi Klubben, at their recommendation and after listening to several different speakers. Based on that, I do think that the system fits well together.

Thanks
If the source is a turntable on Line in or a TV via optical or HDMI, then you have to use the Amp's bluetooth out, not your phone.
If the source is a streaming service, then the selected codec might differ. Depends on your phone.
Another question i did read on the manual is if the amp connected to a bluetooth device the led must be green.
I connected my daliio6 but the led was white..?

Maybe this is when you choose Bluetooth input.. sorry I thought this had something to do with it.
The led is bright green when the source is a bluetooth device, not the output.

Just to be 100% accurate the Denon DRA-F107 was not bundled with the mentioned speakers, in my case. I bought the system (and the DCD-F107) with the Dali Lektor 2's that I am still using from the Danish retailer Hi-Fi Klubben, at their recommendation and after listening to several different speakers. Based on that, I do think that the system fits well together.
Thanks for making this clear. Officially, Denon only ever sold the bundle. But Hi-Fi Klubben - being the major player they are - might have had a separate deal or might have sold the speakers separately.

After all, Peter Lyngdorf is the founder of Dali and of Hi-Fi Klubben (plus a number of other companies like the self-named Lyngdorf and Steinway-Lyngdorf and NAD, to name just a few ...).

Back