Beta Test: Samba

It's quite amusing watching DNLA users swooning over a basic and generic music service. Like explaining to a Apple Mac user that PC's have two button mice, "wow that's amazing"
If LMS were great I would understand your passion, but it's a compromise (as is the WHA). Jack of all trades master of none.

I have full respect for what has been achieved, it's just not for me.

If LMS were great I would understand your passion, but it's a compromise (as is the WHA). Jack of all trades master of none.

I have full respect for what has been achieved, it's just not for me.

What is alternative, free, oipen source, multi platform (NAS, pi, PC) and multi streamer alternative?

Here we go again. What is the compromise?
I'm not bashing LMS, I'm just saying that any one system that tries to bring everything together under one roof can't be better than the best of breed in each category. The benefit of LMS is that you don't need multiple apps to achieve the same thing.

I'm using DLNA on my NAS but it is not easy to set up for a novice in most cases (running custom f-alt firmware with an addon on an old d-link device), so having Samba access sounds like a nice new feature.

Well, the first issue I had was trying to recall what shares I had enabled on my NAS and elsewhere, and more importantly what usernames and passwords I had used 🤦‍♂️

Once I had overcome that self imposed hurdle, I could freely browse folders and play tracks. Album art doesn’t always seem to show but I’ll need to do a bit more digging as I’ve probably not been over diligent in the past whether I’ve embedded the artwork in each track or simply had a folder.jpg file in each folder.

However, a good first start from WiiM and a feature I expect some users will appreciate having. Personally, I still prefer Minimserver or LMS ;)

Back