Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

I didn't realise that Black was available, I have only seen Silver or Space Grey mentioned.
Ordered black and am quite sure it was the only available color then. When clicking the arrows only black appeared. Most likely the dealer decided to name space grey = black. Bit like the Model T 😉 Anyway, black was my choice so all is fine.

Just checked again. And was a bit surprised because they offer again silver or black. Wasn't aware there is a choice..
I asked this question in the spreadsheet and was told that Silver and Space Grey would both be available. These options are now showing on Richer Sounds in the UK

Question from one that is new to DACs and streaming, the Ultra specs show 32-bit/384kHz yet all outputs are max of 24-bit/192 kHz? What's the deal? Is the capability at 32-bit/384kHz "for the future?" Thanks!
Because their software works only up to 192/24 for DSP, volume control etc due to limited hardware specs and budget. Just because the DAC chip is capable of higher and even Native DSD does not mean the device will use it as it will have its own limitations due to software implementation and design. Most DACs in NAD amps are capable of higher sample rates but due to BluOS implementation they only support 192/24 max across the board on any BluOS device.

So, just had an early morning call with my contact. It is how I thought. "Black" stands for "Space Grey". Such a fantasy color in Germany is mostly called either black or anthrazit or dark-grey. And black is normally accepted for all this nuances.
Long story short, Silver is the version with the Aluminium top and Black the one with the dark top.
Asked about the delivery date he only laughed and didn't want to answer that 😉

Last edited:
Please make sure that there won't be any sound drops out when using optical / HDMI in, when the source is TV's standard channels (LG / Samsung)

Currently, I have DX7 Pro from Topping with ESS 9038Pro, and I'm not able to use it with my LG / Samsung TV, because Topping device doesn't accept jitter signal from TV's. They cannot do anything about it while other companies like Arcam / Audiolab have in their settings, after firmware update, possibility to "loosening" the requirements from the incoming signal in terms of quality.

Please make sure that there won't be any sound drops out when using optical / HDMI in, when the source is TV's standard channels (LG / Samsung)

Currently, I have DX7 Pro from Topping with ESS 9038Pro, and I'm not able to use it with my LG / Samsung TV, because Topping device doesn't accept jitter signal from TV's. They cannot do anything about it while other companies like Arcam / Audiolab have in their settings, after firmware update, possibility to "loosening" the requirements from the incoming signal in terms of quality.
Not being able to accept the default optical output from a typical TV would qualify as defect in my book.

What else would you use optical for?

Are you sure all the settings match?

I use optical output from my Virgin TV box into the WiiM amp with no dropouts. I also used to use the TV optical out to a Topping E30 but it was a MK1 before I believe a chip was changed that made the optical input worse.

Strange... I've used the MK1 Topping E30 and now an SMSL SU-6 with my LG tv with no issues. Have you set the TV's audio out to PCM only?

Not being able to accept the default optical output from a typical TV would qualify as defect in my book.

What else would you use optical for?

Are you sure all the settings match?
Strange... I've used the MK1 Topping E30 and now an SMSL SU-6 with my LG tv with no issues. Have you set the TV's audio out to PCM only?

Yes, all the settings are correct. It's a problem for many Samsung's TV. LG's TVs are better, but also few models have this problem with high quality SABRE DACs.

Just to remind you. NETFLIX, PRIME etc are working fine. Its about "standard" channels

Yes, all the settings are correct. It's a problem for many Samsung's TV. LG's TVs are better, but also few models have this problem with high quality SABRE DACs.

Just to remind you. NETFLIX, PRIME etc are working fine. Its about "standard" channels
It's funny (head-scratching not ha-ha) that audiophiles are willing to accept all sort of vagaries and oddities from devices manufactured by multi-billion multi-national corporations, but will expect (demand) that a small company address every last implied weakness or lacking feature to the umpteenth degree. Why is that??

Does the DX7 Pro have DPLL settings and, if so, have you tried changing them?

So Netflix and Prime on the same TV work OK. Why would jitter be lower for them?

I have no idea where the defect is, but it’s a defect. Is it possible that the TV just passes the digital signal from a broadcast through? It seems me that at some point the TV has to process the signal and extract the audio and video. My LG has about half a dozen modes for audio out, but they are disabled when you select optical only.

Back