Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Ah nice. I see you have upgraded the crossover of your Wharfedale speakers? Did it improve the SQ?
I did just the first stage of the upgrades described by the Headquarter audio youtube channel - replacing 3 resistors and 2 capacitors for the tweeter circuit. It's been a while ago and the difference was definitely subtle, but I'm confident they got a little bit of extra sparkle.

Here is a synopsis made by Gemini:

Conan and Kim's Audio World Review of the WiiM Ultra: A Powerful Streaming Machine​

Introduction

In this video, Conan and Kim from the YouTube channel "Conan and Kim's Audio World" review the WiiM Ultra, a new streaming device from WiiM. The Ultra is a successor to the WiiM Pro Plus, and it features a number of new upgrades, including a more powerful DAC, a room correction feature, and a headphone amp.

Design

The WiiM Ultra has a sleek and modern design, with an aluminum case and a 3.5-inch touchscreen display. It is also larger than the Pro Plus, with dimensions of 205 x 70 x 50 mm.

Connectivity

The WiiM Ultra has a wide range of connectivity options, including:

• Analog inputs: 1 line input, 1 phono input
  • Digital inputs: 1 optical input, 1 coaxial input, 1 HDMI ARC input
  • Outputs: 1 optical output, 1 coaxial output, 1 USB output
  • Networking: Ethernet, Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.3
Features

The WiiM Ultra has a number of new features, including:

• ESS Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC
  • Room correction
  • Headphone amp
  • 10-band equalizer
  • Preamplifier function
  • Support for a wide range of streaming services, including Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, and Deezer
Performance

Conan and Kim were impressed with the performance of the WiiM Ultra. They found that it sounded clear, detailed, and powerful. They were also impressed with the room correction feature, which they found to make a significant difference in the sound quality.

Conclusion

Conan and Kim highly recommend the WiiM Ultra to anyone looking for a powerful and versatile streaming device. They believe that it is one of the best value-for-money streaming devices on the market.

Here are some of the key takeaways from the review:

• The WiiM Ultra is a well-designed and well-built streaming device.
  • It has a wide range of connectivity options.
  • It has a number of new features, including a room correction feature and a headphone amp.
  • It sounds clear, detailed, and powerful.
  • It is a great value for the money.
Overall, the WiiM Ultra is an excellent streaming device that is sure to please audiophiles and casual listeners alike.

I hope this summary is helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thx for the great effort you put in this D1N0. Just 1 thing, how can they say it sounded powerful? Its a pre amp/streamer and doesnt have an amp built in?

Conan and Kim's Audio World Review of the WiiM Ultra: A Powerful Streaming Machine​

Introduction

In this video, Conan and Kim from the YouTube channel "Conan and Kim's Audio World" review the WiiM Ultra, a new streaming device from WiiM. The Ultra is a successor to the WiiM Pro Plus, and it features a number of new upgrades, including a more powerful DAC, a room correction feature, and a headphone amp.

Design

The WiiM Ultra has a sleek and modern design, with an aluminum case and a 3.5-inch touchscreen display. It is also larger than the Pro Plus, with dimensions of 205 x 70 x 50 mm.

Connectivity

Features

• Room correction
  • Headphone amp
  • 10-band equalizer
  • Preamplifier function
  • Support for a wide range of streaming services, including Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, and Deezer
Performance

Conan and Kim were impressed with the performance of the WiiM Ultra. They found that it sounded clear, detailed, and powerful. They were also impressed with the room correction feature, which they found to make a significant difference in the sound quality.

Conclusion

Conan and Kim highly recommend the WiiM Ultra to anyone looking for a powerful and versatile streaming device. They believe that it is one of the best value-for-money streaming devices on the market.

• It has a number of new features, including a room correction feature and a headphone amp.
Overall, the WiiM Ultra is an excellent streaming device that is sure to please audiophiles and casual listeners alike.

I hope this summary is helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions.
So I am finally becalmed and happy that me as a casual listener only and not being an a-phile can expect some fun too 😂😂😂😂

Introduction

Design

Connectivity

Features

• Room correction
  • Headphone amp
  • 10-band equalizer
  • Preamplifier function
Performance

Conclusion

"dimensions of 205 x 70 x 50 mm."

Ultra is quite slim! 🤣

1000000584.jpg

From the video:

They like the sound better than pro plus. More vivid and contrasting. They also enjoy RC. In general, they are very much impressed with Ultra.

I have found conflicting info re: subwoofer output - what is the latest about whether it will be possible to set the subwoofer output AND digital output to both be active at same time? The market for an external DAC for the mains - either freestanding or in receiver/amp (or in my case within DSP speaker) - along with an active analog subwoofer would allow this to function as a true digital hub/preamp. My special use case has caused me to return multiple pro pluses - the proposed firmware update to allow analog and digital outputs at the same time never materialized.

From the video:

They like the sound better than pro plus. More vivid and contrasting. They also enjoy RC. In general, they are very much impressed with Ultra.
Did they actually sample it vs the Pro Plus?? They got so much of their detail (according to @D1N0's Gemini AI Synopsys) straight from the Marketing Materials that I'd discount their whole posting ("Conan&Kim" - not D1N0 who made the effort to bring it to us).

Well it was an introductory video, not an in-depth review. They AB tested RC but no AB test between Ultra and Pro Plus. They just said the difference was quite obvious. I may not buy everything they said but the video was anyway informational. Especially for a a potential buyer who doesn't know much about Wiim.

Back