Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing AirPlay 2 support won't be too far off, certainly sooner than Roon Ready usually takes.
I’m not sure if you saw the message I posted earlier in this thread, but I received a message from Wiim support about AirPlay that stated:

“The current Ultra doesn't have MFI chip, and it's uncertain whether it will be able to support AirPlay via software in the future.”

Maybe someone from @WiiM Team could provide some additional info, but I read this as AirPlay may in fact not be coming, at least to this iteration of the device.

I’m not sure if you saw the message I posted earlier in this thread, but I received a message from Wiim support about AirPlay that stated:

“The current Ultra doesn't have MFI chip, and it's uncertain whether it will be able to support AirPlay via software in the future.”

Maybe someone from @WiiM Team could provide some additional info, but I read this as AirPlay may in fact not be coming, at least to this iteration of the device.
I did. This was posted a few weeks ago:

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/meet-wiim-ultra-the-digital-hub-for-your-music.3487/page-31

HI @DeadBob27 Airplay certification is still pending, and while we don't have a definitive timeline, we chose not to delay the launch of the WiiM Ultra. If you primarily use Airplay to stream music, we recommend waiting until it's certified or looking at other WiiM products certified for Airplay.

On our Amazon listing, we wanted to be upfront so that buyers know at the moment of purchase, WiiM Ultra does not have Airplay.

We've also added this note to post #1 of this thread.

Best regards,
WiiM Team

Just curious what sources are we airplaying? Apple Music or local files off a NAS? Airplay 2 is AAC (not lossless) is it not…

Just curious what sources are we airplaying? Apple Music or local files off a NAS? Airplay 2 is AAC (not lossless) is it not…

I use it for Bandcamp, SoundCloud, YouTube, that kind of stuff. Less than 10% of my listening time, but when I need it, I need it.

The fact that it would need an extra chip for Airplay to work would be a problem...

I think "MFI" ("Made For iOS") is just a certification which can be embedded through software later.

FYI: in case someone from Germany (and maybe Austria) is planning to buy the Ultra you might want to quickly check the retailer "Auditorium". There seems to be a limited pre-order campaign with a discount until tomorrow. In combination with pre-payment and newsletter bonus, it would sell at around 300. Good luck.
Screenshot 2024-07-16 110238 - Kopie.jpg

Last edited:
FYI: in case someone from Germany (and maybe Austria) is planning to buy the Ultra you might want to quickly check the retailer "auditorium".
Oh yesss! It was actually one of the first results when searching to buy it from Belgium, but I was not familiar with the store. Thanks for the heads up!

** Unfortunately I'm having trouble registering with my company details. I've just tried contacting them. Crossing fingers :)

Auditorium is in any case among the best regarded HiFi shops in Germany. They run stores in Hamm, Münster and Hamburg.

The fact that it would need an extra chip for Airplay to work would be a problem...

I think "MFI" ("Made For iOS") is just a certification which can be embedded through software later.
My reading is that physical devices that connect to the iPhone require a chip.

I think airplay just requires certification.

L
FYI: in case someone from Germany (and maybe Austria) is planning to buy the Ultra you might want to quickly check the retailer "auditorium". There seems to be a limited pre-order campaign with a discount until tomorrow. In combination with pre-payment and newsletter bonus, it would sell at around 300. Good luck.
View attachment 9119
Awesome, thanks a bunch!

"Anticipation is half the pleasure" ;)

(Ordered 🥳)

I did not have to specify a color though? I thought there was a dark gray and a silver version?

FYI: in case someone from Germany (and maybe Austria) is planning to buy the Ultra you might want to quickly check the retailer "auditorium". There seems to be a limited pre-order campaign with a discount until tomorrow. In combination with pre-payment and newsletter bonus, it would sell at around 300. Good luck.
View attachment 9119
It seems that you can't buy the Ultra at Auditorium no more :( That link leads to nowhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back