Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: in case someone from Germany (and maybe Austria) is planning to buy the Ultra you might want to quickly check the retailer "Auditorium". There seems to be a limited pre-order campaign with a discount until tomorrow. In combination with pre-payment and newsletter bonus, it would sell at around 300. Good luck.
View attachment 9119
Unfortunately the offer is not there anymore :-(

I have three questions about the Ultra.

1) I own a Pro Plus currently, is there an audible upgrade if I move to the Ultra?

2) My turntable has a Moving Iron cartridge by Grado Labs. Does the Ultra provide enough signal for this cartridge? And will it sound as good as my ART DJ II Turntable preamp?

3) Is there any difference between the sub out on the Wiim Pro Plus vs the Wiim Ultra?
No sub out on the pro plus. Wiim ultra has one. Ordered mine yesterday.

Can I find out what precautions are built into the app to prevent potential bugs that reset settings to defaults?

I plan to use Wiim Ultra with my Fossi 3v Monoblocks. I will be using Wiim device to control the volume. I have 4ohm sensitive speakers and quite expensive subwoofer that will be connected to Wiim Ultra.

What is currently built in to prevent from the situation where I turn on the app and suddenly the volume is set to 100%? I'm not asking about advise what I can do as a human, because I already read what steps can be taken to avoid damage to the equipment. However, I'm not the only person in the house and to be honest, I would like to have this covered somehow by the software.

Something like.. Whenever the app (software / firmware) is updated, there are some auto checks that must be shown for confirmation to user -> critical ones.

So if I have changed to "fixed volume" ON and set "maximum volume" to X, and there is an update that may broken the soft, so that the app is asking me if the current values are OK before I move forward.

I'm not saying that exactly this should be implemented, but I would like to see some built-in precautions that will protect the user's equipment in case of some application bug.

Sorry for my English. Trying my best

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Ultra to turn off its screen in Standby mode? Right now, it shows a clock with a background image that changes approx every ten seconds. It looks cool, but it is also distracting sitting on my desk updating (flashing essentially) every ten seconds.

Can I find out what precautions are built into the app to prevent potential bugs that reset settings to defaults?

I plan to use Wiim Ultra with my Fossi 3v Monoblocks. I will be using Wiim device to control the volume. I have 4ohm sensitive speakers and quite expensive subwoofer that will be connected to Wiim Ultra.

What is currently built in to prevent from the situation where I turn on the app and suddenly the volume is set to 100%? I'm not asking about advise what I can do as a human, because I already read what steps can be taken to avoid damage to the equipment. However, I'm not the only person in the house and to be honest, I would like to have this covered somehow by the software.

Something like.. Whenever the app (software / firmware) is updated, there are some auto checks that must be shown for confirmation to user -> critical ones.

So if I have changed to "fixed volume" ON and set "maximum volume" to X, and there is an update that may broken the soft, so that the app is asking me if the current values are OK before I move forward.

I'm not saying that exactly this should be implemented, but I would like to see some built-in precautions that will protect the user's equipment in case of some application bug.

Sorry for my English. Trying my best
I'll also be using it as a digital preamp. Surely they'll have implemented a few fail-safes to always keep the same volume setting.

Actually my WiiM Pro seemed to do a good job of keeping the volume setting as well. Even when using it for chromecast, where my phone's volume buttons were taking control of the volume, I never got sudden volume jumps or anything.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Ultra to turn off its screen in Standby mode? Right now, it shows a clock with a background image that changes approx every ten seconds. It looks cool, but it is also distracting sitting on my desk updating (flashing essentially) every ten seconds.

Currently not possible, but I believe such an option could be implemented, please submit a feature request through the feedback section of the WiiM app. 🙂

Why asking "fanboys" here?

I'll also be using it as a digital preamp. Surely they'll have implemented a few fail-safes to always keep the same volume setting.

Probably worth a separate thread but anyone here with more info and an opinion?

This imo is worth a well thought out feature request. I'm not experienced enough to do it myself and don't know what is already present in the WiiM. E.g. the RME-ADI-2 DAC is considered as a fine example having safety features implemented well.

While it is not something sexy for WiiM to spend resources on I do believe it would be considered by many as important and useful features.

I don't think there are many stereo owners that don't have to worry about small kids (or grandchildren).

Where did this "Fanboy" stuff come from? 🤔

First of all, I set him to "ignore," so he can say what he wants and behave like a child to his hearts content. He was asking me on another forum to post something here and I said that there were too many "fanboys" here. I guess he decided to prove me right.

Aren't we all fanboys?

I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of the animations currently shown for the digital/analog inputs, but WiiM has already mentioned they'll be pushing more screen customisation features with updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back