Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Ultra to turn off its screen in Standby mode? Right now, it shows a clock with a background image that changes approx every ten seconds. It looks cool, but it is also distracting sitting on my desk updating (flashing essentially) every ten seconds.
In the "Questions" spreadsheet on the first page of this thread they mentioned some future update for screen off options in row 16. Maybe this would help it.

What is your problem? You are the one who asked me to post here. Stop being a jerk.
If you’re going to throw insults around, then at least get your target correct. I suggested you post here as there is more knowledge here than on ASR about WiiM Devices, and it was you that used the disparaging fanboy comment on ASR which I didn’t react to. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If you’re going to throw insults around, then at least get your target correct. I suggested you post here as there is more knowledge here than on ASR about WiiM Devices, and it was you that used the disparaging fanboy comment which I didn’t react to. 🤷‍♂️

I believe it was a genuine case of mistaken identity.

For what it’s worth.

If you’re going to throw insults around, then at least get your target correct. I suggested you post here as there is more knowledge here than on ASR about WiiM Devices, and it was you that used the disparaging fanboy comment which I didn’t react to. 🤷‍♂️

@Brantome I corrected it over on ASR. I'm sorry I got it wrong. It can be hard to figure out who is who across sites. My apologies.

This is my last word on this: I did not say "fanboy" as a criticism of any specific individual here, but rather the general mood. I said it in a mild comment on ASR not as an insult, but as the reason that I did not want to post more here when I was told my comments on ASR belonged over here. I was lead to this conclusion when I posted about my early experience with the Ultra on both sites (I thought people would be interested since not many have it yet). On ASR, I got helpful advice. On this site, I did not. I would not have made the comment over here as it was not my intention to insult anyone, but rather to explain why I felt more comfortable posting criticism of the my new Ultra on ASR rather than the Wiim Forum. I now see that was naive because clearly a lot of people read both sites. If you were offended by my comment on ASR, I'm sorry. However, it is clear that the person who posted about it here did it with the specific intent to harass me.

@Brantome I corrected it over on ASR. I'm sorry I got it wrong. It can be hard to figure out who is who across sites. My apologies.

This is my last word on this: I did not say "fanboy" as a criticism of any specific individual here, but rather the general mood. I said it in a mild comment on ASR not as an insult, but as the reason that I did not want to post more here when I was told my comments on ASR belonged over here. I was lead to this conclusion when I posted about my early experience with the Ultra on both sites (I thought people would be interested since not many have it yet). On ASR, I got helpful advice. On this site, I did not. I would not have made the comment over here as it was not my intention to insult anyone, but rather to explain why I felt more comfortable posting criticism of the my new Ultra on ASR rather than the Wiim Forum. I now see that was naive because clearly a lot of people read both sites. If you were offended by my comment on ASR, I'm sorry. However, it is clear that the person who posted about it here did it with the specific intent to harass me.
Fine, let’s park this and get back on topic

In the "Questions" spreadsheet on the first page of this thread they mentioned some future update for screen off options in row 16. Maybe this would help it.
There’s a screen off option on the touchscreen itself, but allowing that in the app would be useful. During the beta, WiiM did attempt to link this to the standby time but for me it turned the device off - or at least, I had to power cycle it to get it back on. Hopefully they can make that a bit more user friendly ;)

Probably worth a separate thread but anyone here with more info and an opinion?

This imo is worth a well thought out feature request. I'm not experienced enough to do it myself and don't know what is already present in the WiiM. E.g. the RME-ADI-2 DAC is considered as a fine example having safety features implemented well.

While it is not something sexy for WiiM to spend resources on I do believe it would be considered by many as important and useful features.

I don't think there are many stereo owners that don't have to worry about small kids (or grandchildren).
I have similar fears, as someone who is in the midst of upgrading my system, and having never run a setup like this before. I have a Buckeye stereo amplifier on order to drive my new (to me) Focal Aria 936s, and am using the Wiim Ultra as my preamp.

I noticed that I can set the “Volume Limit” in the app. Is there anything else I can / should do (whether through the Wiim or otherwise) to prevent something bad from happening?

I have similar fears, as someone who is in the midst of upgrading my system, and having never run a setup like this before. I have a Buckeye stereo amplifier on order to drive my new (to me) Focal Aria 936s, and am using the Wiim Ultra as my preamp.

I noticed that I can set the “Volume Limit” in the app. Is there anything else I can / should do (whether through the Wiim or otherwise) to prevent something bad from happening?
Bear in mind that the volume limit setting is just another way of setting the volume level, but in the more permanent way. There is still a risk though if something goes wrong with the settings. The best prevention for accidents is always to turn on the Amp as the last device in chain, when made sure it's safe.

Yep, as I'm banned I can also live with being blocked :D

My solution is always to take care, and take safety measures.

Turn the Ultra on first. Check there’s no music playing, and that it’s turned down.

Then turn your amp on, start a track, and start to turn the volume up.

Nothing is completely foolproof, but that’s true of every system.

Bear in mind that the volume limit setting is just another way of setting the volume level, but in the more permanent way. There is still a risk though if something goes wrong with the settings. The best prevention for accidents is always to turn on the Amp as the last device in chain, when made sure it's safe.

SNAP! You beat me to it.

My solution is always to take care, and take safety measures.

Turn the Ultra on first. Check there’s no music playing, and that it’s turned down.

Then turn your amp on, start a track, and start to turn the volume up.

Nothing is completely foolproof, but that’s true of every system.

This is not enough for me. I will be using V3 monoblocks with standby mode. So theoretically they will be very often auto ON when signal comes to them. I also won't be teaching the entire family all the steps and rely on that. It can only be an add-on.

I would expect some ingenious software solutions

Software solutions will remain software solutions. You can adjust the amp input sensitivity if applicable or use in-line attenuators for the next level of security.

The settings could be saved to your account. If after any update, the previous settings are changed -> software does this check automatically, the settings are reverted to the previous ones with information about potential bug to the user. Such checks or others check are possible and could also have impact on device itself.

These are the things that could be and even should be implemented.

If the company is selling something with some functions and these functions may fail (everything may fail), and at the same time damage the equipment, it's kind of problem of the person that is impacted, but the entire company too.

Of course, it won't happen, but if I lost my hearing because of such a software bug, I would search for compensation

Last edited:
Maybe there are some security checks already implemented, I don't know. But it's still relying on the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back