Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

That would depend on the calibration file but normally corrections are required at higher frequencies so lower frequencies might not be affected.
And it also depends on the external microphone's general quality, of course.

I trust that e.g. the UMIK-1 will be more accurate in every aspect than any built-in mic. Just because we use a built-in microphone doesn't mean that the smartphone maker did apply any meaningful form of calibration. The UMIK-1 calibration files OTOH only contain rather mild corrections. Ideally, we want to be able to upload cal files of course!

Fun fact:
RC is technically working with my WiiM Amp, but not with my Ultra. Same phone, same app version, both on latest production firmware.

However, the measurements taken did look so strange, I didn't even care to take a screenshot. A Mini USB to USB-C cable is coming today for my UMIK-1 (which doesn't have a USB-C connector like the current production run). Let's see how this will turn out.

Last edited:
I missed that screen when I was holding the phone. I'll do it again and make sure I see it next time
You can start the RC process and run it up to that screen but then abort without making any changes. No need to perform an actual measurement.

Would I be able to just use an audio interface over USB C and use my Sonarworks measurement mic? :)

Would I be able to just use an audio interface over USB C and use my Sonarworks measurement mic? :)
If the WiiM Home app (and Android) recognizes the mic you should be good to go. As has been mentioned before the app will show you which mic it is using. If it shows "null" or "built-in microphone" then you're out of luck.

Some good news regarding the UMIK-1, attached to my Xiaomi 12:

IMG_20240722_174100.jpg

Initial measurement looks a lot more reasonable than what was captured with the built-in microphone.
IMG_20240722_174205.jpg

If the WiiM Home app (and Android) recognizes the mic you should be good to go. As has been mentioned before the app will show you which mic it is using. If it shows "null" or "built-in microphone" then you're out of luck.

Some good news regarding the UMIK-1, attached to my Xiaomi 12:

View attachment 9401

Initial measurement looks a lot more reasonable than what was captured with the built-in microphone.
View attachment 9402
I am surprised it knows the model of microphone. I thought it would just say USB microphone. If they can't get it to work with a Dayton Audio iMM6 we are going to need a list of mics that actually do work.

In my understanding, WiiM (as well as HouseCurve) do use for RC internal mics under IOS because the frequency response of iDevices mics is consistent and so they can be pre-calibrated in the app.
Instead, using not calibrated mics for RC is moot, because, doing so, you measure not only the frequency response of your HiFi system in your room, but also the unknown frequency response of the mics you are using.
Hence, trying to use for RC an Android internal mic, or also an external mic with no calibration, is substantially a nonsense.
In the present beta phase, of course, it is useful just to test the WiiM App support of such mics, but nothing more.
In particular, any subjective or objective evaluation of RC effects, IMHO should be postponed to the moment in which will be possible to upload mics calibration files, and not before.
Just my opinion, of course...

... because the frequency response of iDevices mics is consistent and so they can be pre-calibrated in the app.
Try to find hard facts about this on the Internet and don't forget to report back if you found any. ;)

There are some measurements of very old iPhones to be found (no info how theses were obtained) but in general we simply don't know how good or bad the measurement results really are. My understanding has always been that the sheer number of different mics used in Apple devices is limited compared to Android phones and that Apple provides some sort of generic calibration info for the class of mic in use (not the individual item, of course).

The question mainly is: If we disregard absolute SPL (which we can for RC), are those built-in microphones still linear enough (over frequency and sound pressure!) to handle the range between roughly 40 Hz and 400 Hz?

The ridiculous humps we have seen from many internal mics in the 8 to 10 kHz region clearly show how limited there quality really is. And this is nothing, even a calibration file can resolve. In the end, for really useful RC we need a good quality microphone in the first place and the ability to handle calibration files, indeed.

An acknowledgement of the problems would be nice. Maybe nobody at WiiM has an Android phone or an external mic 🤣
Haha maybe they have nothing but iPhone. I’m not here to say things since each one of us has it’s favorite flat form. Nothing wrong whichever you choose.

If there’s feature I want to have, usb out and sub out working together. Apparently, this only be possible on ultra via optical and coax. Can wiim superiority on software able to make this happen? Well, like @Wiimer said when they are silent there’s no hope.

I’ve never not got one when I’ve used the settings/feedback section in the WiiM home app and entered my email address in the ticket header. It’s usually a pro-forma which I’d cut and paste here on my iPad if I hadn’t already archived them on my pc. I’m sure @Wiimer etc can provide the boilerplate response

I’ve never not got one when I’ve used the settings/feedback section in the WiiM home app and entered my email address in the ticket header. It’s usually a pro-forma which I’d cut and paste here on my iPad if I hadn’t already archived them on my pc. I’m sure @Wiimer etc can provide the boilerplate response
Hmm maybe I didn't enter an email address. I must have forgotten it wasn't automatic.

Back