Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

This is the message I get

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240725_113211_Package installer.jpg
    Screenshot_20240725_113211_Package installer.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 19
Downloaded this last night. I saw room correction was there. This morning I opened the app and it's gone. When I try to re-download it, it says it's an invalid link.
Curiously the latest WiiM app update seems to have overwritten the RC beta. Hopefully an updated beta is in the works.

Yes, you are correct.

I see that when I hide the microphone on the couch, the measurement app does not pick up any high frequencies, but the WiiM RC shows no change.
But the default (no the hard-set) upper limit for the Android Beta seems (by every graph presented) to be 4khz. So of course WiiM RC shows no change to High Frequencies.

I just got my Wiim Amp and have been playing with the Room Correction.

Question: is the PEQ disabled when doing the RC calibration? For instance, if I run it with the default curve, then run it again with the flat curve (without disabling the initial one), am I "correcting" the first correction?

Also, what does the Room Correction On/Off toggle do? It may be a bug in the beta, but if I switch it off, it still stays on the settings screen. Maybe in the future this will allow you to keep speaker distance delay settings active while being able to choose different eq curves?

Downloaded the beta room correction version yesterday. My phone is a Samsung S22. Two observations -- first, the beta version disappeared overnight but the room correction profiles I saved remain available. (Odd as I didn't think I did a WiiM app update nor restarted my phone.) Second, I tried the phone at a couple of different spots in the room and all the resulting correction curves seemed overly dramatic. I ended up with with much better sound quality by cutting the amount of dB correction in half. It strikes me that one might get better results if several room correction scans could be run and then averaged instead of the adjustments being based on a single scan.

The other thing I plan on doing is using an external measurement microphone (I purchased this a couple of years ago when I was experimenting with the HiFiBerry DSP add-on board for their Raspberry Pi DACs.) Hopefully using a "real" microphone designed for acoustic measurement will give better results. I think I may run a half-dozen scans at slightly different positions and then work out an EQ correction based on the average, or perhaps the mininum amount each frequency band departs from flat. Currently the WiiM software doesn't appear to average multiple scans so this would require manually entering the parametric adjustments.

Question: is the PEQ disabled when doing the RC calibration? For instance, if I run it with the default curve, then run it again with the flat curve (without disabling the initial one), am I "correcting" the first correction?
My results indicate that EQ is disabled prior to performing the measurement.

Also, what does the Room Correction On/Off toggle do?
That's what I'd like to know as well. As of now (where the result is just one of potentially many PEQ settings named Auto) it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Downloaded the beta room correction version yesterday. My phone is a Samsung S22. Two observations -- first, the beta version disappeared overnight but the room correction profiles I saved remain available. (Odd as I didn't think I did a WiiM app update nor restarted my phone.) Second, I tried the phone at a couple of different spots in the room and all the resulting correction curves seemed overly dramatic. I ended up with with much better sound quality by cutting the amount of dB correction in half. It strikes me that one might get better results if several room correction scans could be run and then averaged instead of the adjustments being based on a single scan.

The other thing I plan on doing is using an external measurement microphone (I purchased this a couple of years ago when I was experimenting with the HiFiBerry DSP add-on board for their Raspberry Pi DACs.) Hopefully using a "real" microphone designed for acoustic measurement will give better results.

New home update overwrites beta version. Beta apk seems to be invalid
Happened to me too. I uninstalled the updated app and reinstalled the beta from the APK I downloaded and it's back to its previous state. And I disabled auto-updates in the Play Store for now.

Bummer, it won't let me reinstall the beta app now. Last update overwrote it, now the APK won't install.

Perhaps we need to wait for the next beta app (or firmware). Or it is possible that no more beta version will be delivered.

In my personal opinion, the WiiM support team clearly lacks communication regarding beta testing. This makes it more likely that testers will waste their time.

Bummer, it won't let me reinstall the beta app now. Last update overwrote it, now the APK won't install.
Just uninstall the updated version, install the beta APK, and disable auto-updates. Still works, all your settings should be there.

I know being a beta tester is tricky by definition, but the situation is frustrating in my case. Did an initial round of experimenting using the microphone in my Samsung S22 which gave interesting, but hardly perfect results. Then I spent some time digging out my Behringer ECM8000 microphone along with its phantom power supply to see what the results would be with using a "real" measurement mike. That was my project for this afternoon.

And then I find out the beta version of the WiiM app is no longer on my phone. Drat! Now I have to spend time messing with uninstall/reinstall issues.

I know being a beta tester is tricky by definition, but the situation is frustrating in my case. Did an initial round of experimenting using the microphone in my Samsung S22 which gave interesting, but hardly perfect results. Then I spent some time digging out my Behringer ECM8000 microphone along with its phantom power supply to see what the results would be with using a "real" measurement mike. That was my project for this afternoon.

And then I find out the beta version of the WiiM app is no longer on my phone. Drat!
Hi mlsstl,

We are sorry that the previous link has expired; Please download the second beta app for Android Room Correction via this link: https://dln.bz/a/muzohome/2.10.7.20240726.1519

Bug Fixes:
  1. Room Correction Settings: Fixed an issue where adjustments to Frequency Range, Gain, and Target Curve were not applied correctly.
  2. External Microphone Name: Corrected the display of external microphone names on certain Android phones.
Best Regards,
WiiM Support

Back