Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

Hi mlsstl,

We are sorry that the previous link has expired; Please download the second beta app for Android Room Correction via this link: https://dln.bz/a/muzohome/2.10.7.20240726.1519

Bug Fixes:
  1. Room Correction Settings: Fixed an issue where adjustments to Frequency Range, Gain, and Target Curve were not applied correctly.
  2. External Microphone Name: Corrected the display of external microphone names on certain Android phones.
Best Regards,
WiiM Support
Terrific, thank you for the quick response!

Hi mlsstl,

We are sorry that the previous link has expired; Please download the second beta app for Android Room Correction via this link: https://dln.bz/a/muzohome/2.10.7.20240726.1519

Bug Fixes:
  1. Room Correction Settings: Fixed an issue where adjustments to Frequency Range, Gain, and Target Curve were not applied correctly.
  2. External Microphone Name: Corrected the display of external microphone names on certain Android phones.
Best Regards,
WiiM Support
Well it does indeed seem to recognise my iMM6 now. I'll do some testing later 👍
Screenshot_20240728-063615.png

Well it does indeed seem to recognise my iMM6 now. I'll do some testing later 👍
View attachment 9600
That's a start but it should able to identify the type of mic as it does mine. May not make a difference now but hopefully going forward there might be some type of calibration per mic.

Attachments

• 6a28840a-e8c7-4d11-9c97-f54d6d03d5e7-1_all_51566.png
    6a28840a-e8c7-4d11-9c97-f54d6d03d5e7-1_all_51566.png
    724.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That's a start but it should able to identify the type of mic as it does mine. May not make a difference now but hopefully going forward there might be some type of calibration per mic.
Every single mic unit has a (maybe slightly) different frequency response.
Hence, every single mic unit needs a (maybe slightly) different calibration.
Therefore, what we need is the possibility to upload to the app the calibration data of every single mic unit.
Everything else, IMHO, is futile.

Therefore, what we need is the possibility to upload to the app the calibration data of every single mic unit.
Respectfully it depends on what you're trying to achieve. I'm not interested in full range equalization, only in reducing a huge 40-45hz bump. Getting close is acceptable. I couldn't care less if the measurement is accurate within a few db in the midrange or not because I don't think that type of eq is appropriate to this application. I know the measurement at 40db is sufficiently accurate since I've compared the results with my Anthem correction using the same mic.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's simply impossible with a plain "analogue" mic connected to the 3.5 mm jack. There's nothing to get this information from.

It does work with mics connected through USB, at least with mine. ;)

Unfortunately, that's simply impossible with a plain "analogue" mic connected to the 3.5 mm jack. There's nothing to get this information from.

It does work with mics connected through USB, at least with mine. ;)
Right. USB fine here as well.

I've mentioned it before and I repeat it once more: The individual calibration between quality mics doesn't differ all that much, neither from one unit to another, nor from the ideal. The better the mic, the less important is individual calibration for the task at hand.

But that doesn't mean that I disregard the advantages of importing cal files. Yes, I want that too, please. As soon as possible, but if necessary I can wait until the core process is robust. Power users want it and they know why. John Doe ... I'm not so sure.

Question for WiiM -- I have installed the latest beta version of room correction for Ultra. I've got an external measurement microphone hooked up to my Samsung S22 (the "Pro" option for recording video automatically sees this microphone) but I can't tell if the WiiM room correction program is using it or the phone's internal microphone. I don't see any settings in the WiiM app where I can change mikes. Is the external USB mike being used? If not how do I switch to use it?

Question for WiiM -- I have installed the latest beta version of room correction for Ultra. I've got an external measurement microphone hooked up to my Samsung S22 (the "Pro" option for recording video automatically sees this microphone) but I can't tell if the WiiM room correction program is using it or the phone's internal microphone. I don't see any settings in the WiiM app where I can change mikes. Is the external USB mike being used? If not how do I switch to use it?
On the screen where you start the room correction tuning the app tells you which microphone is being used. It either says "Built-in microphone" or "External microphone" or in some cases the name of the external microphone.

On the screen where you start the room correction tuning the app tells you which microphone is being used. It either says "Built-in microphone" or "External microphone" or in some cases the name of the external microphone.
Something's odd. I don't get that message when I start the room correction option. Step 4 says I'm using the built-in microphone with no option to change it. My phone sees the microphone, and as noted, the "pro" video recording option shows it is using the USB microphone. I'm using the latest beta version that says it supports an external microphone but see no option to switch to it. Oh, and I've reinstalled the beta program 3 times and rebooted my phone.

Last edited:
Something's odd. I don't get that message when I start the room correction option. Step 4 says I'm using the built-in microphone with no option to change it. My phone sees the microphone, and as noted, the "pro" video recording option shows it is using the USB microphone. I'm using the latest beta version that says it supports an external microphone but see no option to switch to it.
Therefore it is likely that the WiiM app does not recognize your microphone. WiiM app cannot switch microphones manually yet. It only automatically indicates that when it recognizes an external microphone.

Can you tell us what model of microphone you have?

It's a Behringer EMC8000 that I bought a couple of years ago specifically for measuring room acoustics. As noted, the phone sees and uses it with no problem. I can see that the WiiM app may not identify the specific brand & model but it seems odd that it would ignore an external microphone that is recognized by the phone itself. Oh, and I'll also add that the HiFiBerry DSP card on my Raspberry Pi had no problem using this microphone.

Last edited:
It's a Behringer EMC8000 that I bought a couple of years ago specifically for measuring room acoustics. As noted, the phone sees and uses it with no problem. I can see that the WiiM app may not identify the specific brand & model but it seems odd that it would ignore an external microphone that is recognized by the phone itself. Oh, and I'll also add that the HiFiBerry DSP card on my Raspberry Pi had no problem using this microphone.
Yes, it is the same result as my Dayton IMM-6C. the Android phone recognizes the IMM-6C, but the WiiM RC does not. Also, other measurement apps can recognize the IMM-6C, so if there is a problem, I believe it is the WiiM app.

Yes, it is the same result as my Dayton IMM-6C. the Android phone recognizes the IMM-6C, but the WiiM RC does not. Also, other measurement apps can recognize the IMM-6C, so if there is a problem, I believe it is the WiiM app.
Odd. Hopefully that is something they'll fix in the near future. I do have the option of using the microphone with the REW program on my laptop, but that's a lot of extra steps. I was looking forward to a more hassle-free approach to room correction.

I guess I could also borrow my wife's iPhone, but that's still using the internal mike on the phone.

Hi Wiimer,

Can the updated App recognize your Dayton IMM-6C Mic? If not, can you please send us a feedback ticket so we can troubleshoot this further?
https://dln.bz/a/muzohome/2.10.7.20240726.1519

Thank you for your assistance.

To use the Behringer ECM8000 you must be using a USB audio interface. I wonder if that complicates things.

So I tried the new version of the app. It still recognises my IMM-6 via the Google adapter fine, so far so good. Some other glitches are fixed too in the display.

One thing I find rather annoying however is it wants to apply -10dB to the bass around 40Hz (my room sucks but I think that's a bit much. I want to calm it down a bit, so I configured it to apply a max correction of 5dB. The end result is that it's still correcting -10dB (or more !), it just piles up two filters to do it !

1000004497.png
I am also not too fan of what's happening in the 350Hz and 1.4kHz regions, those are too harsh and make voices especially sound "thinner".

I'm waiting for the separate L & R correction, as I suspect I have a strong imbalance (room again... Right speaker sandwiched between TV and window).

Did you update to the latest beta app released a couple of days ago?

Will be amusing if WiiM requires the purchase of an external mic for Android. I can hear the whining already, lol.
I doubt that. Apps like "Room Acoustics" and "Hifi-Apps Speaker" do well with the Android microphone.

Back