Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

Hi, @Maurizio

WiiM RC seems to be steadily evolving. I am sure it will get better in the future.😁

I believe you. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

Edit; The difference I felt before and after RC was slight, but I could hear each note more clearly.
Hi @Wiimer
I completely agree with you. 😊 I had the exact same feeling. More clarity in the notes and better presence, and as you say, using the EQ On/Off the differences are really subtle, but noticeable.;)
I would like to add one thing that, in my opinion, proves the good work WiiM did with the RC.
I did the RC for :
Line Out Ultra
Topping D70 Pro Sabre
SMSL 500 MKIII
Well, the three curves differ from each other, but very subtly, as we said before. I find it quite logical and coherent, because the three DACs have a somewhat different voice, but the room is always the same and the RC is mainly concerned with eliminating the defects of the room.
This is why I am convinced that WiiM has done a good job.;)😊
If I had obtained completely different curves I would have been very skeptical.πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me what external microphone I need for an Android phone?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the three curves differ from each other, but very subtly, as we said before. I find it quite logical and coherent, because the three DACs have a somewhat different voice, but the room is always the same and the RC is mainly concerned with eliminating the defects of the room.
The RC doesn't know if the room or the speakers or anything else is causing the incorrect frequency response. It just measures the response and corrects it.

I also think that the default max. Q setting is on the high side. Room influences usually don't cause very sharp peaks.

There might be high Q troughs due to cancellation, but these cannot be corrected by EQ and one shouldn't even try it. I don't think that filter Q values above 6 are very useful, but I'm open to suggestions.
I fully agree regarding the high Q dips and cancellations and not EQing them. I also think that lower Q values should be the recommended way to go.

However, I have empirically seen that allowing sharp peaks (high Q's) when automatically matching to target curve in REW corrected much better for wider peaks coming from room resonances than trying to do it with low Q values. I think it's related with the way the algorithm in REW tries to get rid of the peaks and the interactions between adjacent filters.

Ideally, I would allow high Q values, measure and check whether it makes a different over EQing only with lower Q's.

Can someone tell me what external microphone I need for an Android phone?
DAYTON AUDIO IMM-6C Measurement Microphone USB-C for Android / iOS Smartphones and Tablets.
Works with Wiim RC and also can be used with REW on PC. Also you may want an UBC-C female extender cable.

DAYTON AUDIO IMM-6C Measurement Microphone USB-C for Android / iOS Smartphones and Tablets.
Works with Wiim RC and also can be used with REW on PC. Also you may want an UBC-C female extender cable.
I am using the same and I can only recommend it.

Hi, @Maurizio

WiiM RC seems to be steadily evolving. I am sure it will get better in the future.😁

I believe you. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

Edit; The difference I felt before and after RC was slight, but I could hear each note more clearly.
We are going to have to wait till wiim implement independent peq because if I asked in the tread you know how that goes I get no answer from them. πŸ˜†

Hi WiiM Community,

For our Android users who are interested in beta testing Room Correction. Please fill out the form below. You must own a WiiM Pro, WiiM Pro Plus, WiiM Amp or WiiM Ultra. Room Correction isn't available on WiiM Mini.

2024-07-28 Update:

Please download the second beta app for Android Room Correction via this link: https://dln.bz/a/muzohome/2.10.7.20240726.1519

Bug Fixes:
  1. Room Correction Settings: Fixed an issue where adjustments to Frequency Range, Gain, and Target Curve were not applied correctly.
  2. External Microphone Name: Corrected the display of external microphone names on certain Android phones.

Please Note: Due to the wide variety of Android phone models, it is challenging to assess the performance of each device's microphone. To ensure accurate measurements during Room Correction, we recommend using an external microphone.

If you encounter any issues or have any feedback, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Happy testing!
WiiM Team
I have tried room correction measurements on 3 different Android devices and beside the microphone differences, the internal electronics vary as well. Each sweep below was made using the internal mic and an external UMM-6 USB mic:
REVVL 5G Phone- Brick wall cutoff 8kHz and above with both the internal mic and the external UMM-6 probably due to A/D conversion limits.
Google Pixel 3XL phone- +10db peak above 10kHz with internal mic but more reasonable looking result with the UMM-6 external mic.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet- Broad 15db peak centered around 7kHz with internal mic but results comparable to REW measurements with UMM-6 external mic.

The UMM-6 measurements were made "uncalibrated" since WIIM does not yet support mic cal files. However, the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated measurements taken with REW show only fractional db variations. When comparing the WIIM graph as measured using the Samsung tablet and UMM-6 mic against the REW graph, there was pretty good correlation between the two. Granted, the WIIM graph resolution required some interpolation on my part, but results were withing a couple of db WIIM vs REW.

The filter coefficients produced by the WIIM app and REW were quite different, but appeared to achieve similar target curves. I used "flat" as the target. When I have time, I'll enter the REW coefficients into the WIIM PEQ filter and compare the two results through subjective listening.

Conclusions- It seems that Android cellphones (mics/ electronics) are optimized for speech, whereas the Samsung Android tablet showed the most promising results with an external mic. I haven't tested yet if I can load a correction into the WIIM and then do an EQ sweep with those corrections in place. It seems like the WIIM app sets the filters to flat each time a room correction is initiated. I continue to be amazed at how new features continue to be made available for this fine family of products! My latest is the WIIM Ultra and I also have the Pro Plus and Mini.

I have tried room correction measurements on 3 different Android devices and beside the microphone differences, the internal electronics vary as well. Each sweep below was made using the internal mic and an external UMM-6 USB mic:
REVVL 5G Phone- Brick wall cutoff 8kHz and above with both the internal mic and the external UMM-6 probably due to A/D conversion limits.
Google Pixel 3XL phone- +10db peak above 10kHz with internal mic but more reasonable looking result with the UMM-6 external mic.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet- Broad 15db peak centered around 7kHz with internal mic but results comparable to REW measurements with UMM-6 external mic.

The UMM-6 measurements were made "uncalibrated" since WIIM does not yet support mic cal files. However, the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated measurements taken with REW show only fractional db variations. When comparing the WIIM graph as measured using the Samsung tablet and UMM-6 mic against the REW graph, there was pretty good correlation between the two. Granted, the WIIM graph resolution required some interpolation on my part, but results were withing a couple of db WIIM vs REW.

The filter coefficients produced by the WIIM app and REW were quite different, but appeared to achieve similar target curves. I used "flat" as the target. When I have time, I'll enter the REW coefficients into the WIIM PEQ filter and compare the two results through subjective listening.

Conclusions- It seems that Android cellphones (mics/ electronics) are optimized for speech, whereas the Samsung Android tablet showed the most promising results with an external mic. I haven't tested yet if I can load a correction into the WIIM and then do an EQ sweep with those corrections in place. It seems like the WIIM app sets the filters to flat each time a room correction is initiated. I continue to be amazed at how new features continue to be made available for this fine family of products! My latest is the WIIM Ultra and I also have the Pro Plus and Mini.
I agree with your conclusions. I have also compared measurements on several phones and tablets and the combination of Galaxy Tab and IMM-6C looked very good. Therefore, I am currently using this set.

What was the difference between the results from the Pixel 3 XL and the Galaxy Tab?

Yes, the setting can be saved.
Not particularly intuitive imo. Why not offer the ability to save right there on the results page?
iirc, you need to go to the EQ screen and save from there.
I like it the way it is now. Also saves them development time and is from a cluttered interface.

I think direction is less important than position.
My idea is a little different.
The microphone is placed so that it faces forward in each of the three measurements: left channel, center channel, and right channel. And the microphones come to the position of my ears. IMM-6C is an omni-directional microphone, but its frequency response changes when the direction is slightly changed.

1000001186.jpg

But this is my way, and I am not forcing anyone to do this.πŸ˜„

The microphone is placed so that it faces forward in each of the three measurements: left channel, center channel, and right channel. And the microphones come to the position of my ears. IMM-6C is an omni-directional microphone, but its frequency response changes when the direction is slightly changed.

View attachment 10848

How much does the frequency response change if you leave it pointing between the speakers? You are changing position as well as direction.

How much does the frequency response change if you leave it pointing between the speakers? You are changing position as well as direction.

In my case, there is a slight difference. Probably depends on the size of the room, distance between speakers, etc. My room is very small.

View attachment 10848

If you lean your head inch to left based on the picture you will loose the center image πŸ˜† you been experimenting a lot than actual listening. πŸ˜†

Back